New Dog Cheat Sheet for First-time Owners
Owning a dog, especially as a first-time owner, is no small investment of your time, resources, and energy. You might be both thrilled and anxious at the idea. A dog parent is almost akin to a mother with her first, new baby in an otherwise adult-centered household; it is a serious, time-consuming activity. You have to prepare yourself, mentally and physically, for being responsible for a creature wholly dependent on you.
Remember that having a dog as a child differs completely from taking care of one as an adult. And as this is your very first dog as an adult, we recommend you start with an easy-going breed type. So matching your personality, lifestyle, and temperament with your dog will go a long way to smoothly bonding you and your new best friend. The last thing you need is a headstrong, four-legged housemate if you are unwilling to put your foot down.
And yes, you will have a lovable, four-legged buddy to cuddle up with, to talk to without interruption, to brighten those long, dreary days. But like a newborn, a dog demands round-the-clock attention and care. You will need to feed, bathe, train, groom, and keep your new furry best friend healthy in much the same manner as you would for yourself. Besides tasking a number of your emotions at first (patience, consistency), some of a dog’s essential supplies can be pricey, especially if you have a taste for the finer, high-end things of life. From dog treats to food. Leashes and dog crates. From dog bowls to toys. To facilitate a smooth transition into your house for you as well as your new dog, here is our version of a list of must-have new dog products for first-time dog owners such as yourself, duly recommended by the experts at Reviewed.com
First things first, your new canine companion needs a dog collar that is suitably sized for its neck. Regardless of if it already had one from the breeder who you adopted it from, you, as its new owner, will want to put your mark on your property. They also go further to recommend, “collars like Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Spring Pastel Dog Collar from Chewy include an extra loop where you can attach dog tags so that they won’t get in the way of your leash.”
As a first-time dog owner, many pet owners and professional dog trainers will advise you to crate-train your dog. This habit can become particularly useful when you are away from the house or at night while you are asleep. A crate is one new dog product that ensures that your new housemate is mischief-free in your absence. A new dog product like the Frisco Wire Dog Crate is, according to Reviewed.com, an excellent option.
- It has two large doors, and they are easy to open, close and lock
- A convenient divider panel for the crate to expand as your new dog grows.
- Easy to assemble with no tools needed.
- A durable, easy-to-clean plastic pan is included.
- Suitable for traveling because it conveniently folds up and has adjustable handles.
- No wonder the experts recommend it.
You are still learning about its habits and attitudes at this point in your relationship with your new dog friend. You might’ve not experienced your dog tearing things apart yet, but you still desire to get it a plush, comfy bed. Maybe something you have seen used for a friend’s or neighbor’s canine pet. The product experts at Reviewed.com do not think you should go down that route just yet. Know and study your furry friend for a bit before deciding to splurge or not. In the meantime, they recommend a Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed from Chewy.com instead. Why? It has a steel frame, like its name, wrapped in durable, PVC-coated cloth.
Your new dog will be kept cooler on scorching days because of its raised design.
The experts added that reviewers say their dogs love this bed, and they can throw a blanket or towel over it to give the dog extra cushion.” Excellent choice for your new dog mate for now.
These stacking dog food containers have thousands of reviews. – chewy.com
And they are known as the Gamma 2 Vittles Vault Stackable Pet Food Storage from Chewy.com
With an additional mouth to feed in your house, you will need a reliable, airtight storage container for all the food supplies, dog, and otherwise, collected for your furry companion. You don’t want to find unwelcome little creatures attacking and feasting on your precious dog food now, do you?
- The product experts recommend these stackable pet food containers for various reasons.
- They’re a widely likable choice for storing dog food.
- They can store up to 40 or 60 pounds of dry compound feed and have handy, spin-off lids.
- Their seal is airtight and keeps odors in while preventing pests from gaining access to the feed.
- They are made out of heavy-duty, BPA-free food-grade plastic.
They are also referred to as a “baby” gate.
There will be a couple of places in your house where you might want to keep your new dog out of – your study, the kitchen, the garage, etc. – and a “baby gate” will do just that for you, setting boundaries and keeping your sanity intact.
The product experts recommend the extra-wide, walk-thru gate (29 to 36.5 inches) over at Carlson Pet Products for precisely this purpose.
It comes with a handy walk-through design that can be easily locked.
Then, if you have another pet – say a cat or a puppy – there’s a smaller door at the bottom of the gate for easy access.
Like the dog collar, this goes without saying.
Get one with double handles, advise the experts, one loop at the end of the leash and another mid-way down for when you want to rein in your companion quickly or suddenly or have him stay close to you during walks.
The Max and Neo Dog Gear Nylon Reflective, Double Dog Leash from Chewy has reflective stitching for increased visibility if you prefer exercising your new dog at night. Gunmetal D-ring to hold doggie bags.
- 2mm thick, strong enough for the largest dogs.
- Made from heavy-duty nylon, and it is six feet long.
When we talked about feeding your new dog, this was what we meant. Your new dog will need bowls, at least two for food and water. A set of Frisco Stainless Steel Pet Bowls from Chewy will make a fine choice for your new, four-legged partner. The experts at Reviewed.com were correct in their selection:
- Has durable stainless steel, which is stain- and rust-resistant
- It is high-quality polished with a non-skid base to prevent spills
- Can protects your floors with its rubber base can
- It provides a hygienic eating experience for your new dog
- Is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
If, as a human, you require a table/food mat while eating, why not your new furry housemate? For the same reason, humans use one to prevent mess and make cleaning easier, a dog food mat will contain the mess and keep your floor clean, dry, and free from damage.
The BarksBar Original Silicone Pet Feeding Mat from Chewy can:
- You can accommodate two bowls comfortably at the same time
- It has a raised outer lip to contain spills
- It is odor- and stain-resistant, non-toxic, and has no open pores to harbor Above all, it is easy to clean.
While we are tempted to recommend any toy for your new dog, we won’t. Our initial thought was that any sort would do for your new dog – be it a stuffed teddy or a plastic shaker. It was guaranteed to keep your canine friend just as occupied as a bone or a stick would. However, the product experts suggested a Kong toy. A KONG Classic Dog Toy from Chewy.
You can fill KONG dog toys with dog treats and snacks because it has a hollow interior made for that purpose.
- Veterinarians, trainers, and dog enthusiasts have relied on it for over 40 years.
- It is a good companion source for your new dog while you are away because it can help reduce boredom, relieve separation anxiety, and provide endless playtime.
- Not many toys can achieve this feat, as we erroneously thought previously.
Specifically, a special dog water bottle.
According to chewy.com, this is “the first-and only-one-handed pet hydration system. Simply give the bottle a squeeze to fill the attached bowl on top, give your pup a drink of fresh, cool water, and any leftover water drains back into the bottle to be enjoyed later.”
It has a thoughtful and innovative design to fit almost any bicycle and automobile cup holder while in transit.
There are also removable fuzzy fastener straps that can turn into a convenient strap or be used to attach the bottle to a pack.
You don’t want your new dog suffering from flea or tick infestations any time soon, or, if you can help it, any time at all, do you?
Enter the Seresto 8-Month Flea and Tick Collar from Chewy. This collar ticks off (no pun intended) all the right boxes when it comes to protecting your new dog from an attack of fleas and ticks:
- It is a veterinarian-recommended prevention treatment that kills fleas and ticks on puppies and dogs seven weeks and older.
- Repelling and killing fleas begin within 24 hours of applying it on your dog, while it takes about two hours to affect reinfesting It works on contact and is devoid of any pain.
- It operates likewise for ticks but within 48 hours of applying it on your new dog and affects re-infesting ticks within six hours. Again, it works on contact and is devoid of any pain
- Its easy-to-use, 27.5-inch adjustable collar is odorless and non-greasy; quick-release features and visibility reflectors provide extra safety.
- Another advantage is its water-resistant formula which can continue to work for up to eight months, regardless of the number of bath and swim times or sun exposure.
In between groomer visits, and if you don’t take your new dog in as often as scheduled, chances are his/her nails can become too long. It falls on you to keep his/her nails trim, clean, and short. Another intriguing aspect of dog parenting. You will need clippers to do this.
The Safari Professional nail trimmer from Chewy is ideal for both professional groomers and pet owners as well.
- A non-slip, comfortable grip allows you to maintain control when trimming your new dog’s nails. Reduces the event of painful accidents.
- It has a double-bladed cutter with a tension spring that enables a swift clean cut. It is also suitable for left or right-hand use.
- Innovative safety stops dramatically reduce the risk of injury.
Your new dog’s open mouth would not be the only thing smelling at the end of a day filled with boisterous activities, especially if those activities involved playing with sand, dirt, leaves, etc. A good bath will be for your new pet.
Our recommendation is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner from Chewy.
- Soap-free shampoo and conditioner blend that rinses easily, leaving your new dog’s skin silky soft, and shiny.
- Make bath time a soothing experience with its lavender and mint composition, which is entirely alcohol-free.
If your new dog uses the flea and tick treatment recommended above, do not forget to strictly follow the bathing instructions on the flea and tick package. Each flea and bug treatment works differently and might require different wait times before being exposed to water.
For the staple game of fetch and a ruff time in the backyard.
Any rubber toy ball should do but the Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy was designed with the game of fetch in mind.
- The balls can bounce very high and can also be used in water
- An extra-thick, rubber core, and other material keeps them afloat in water
- Their bright color improves visibility and rarely has them missing during or after play
- Compatible with the Chuckit! Ball Launchers
- Get one for your pet dog from Chewy.
One that is popular and also affordable. You can’t go wrong with Milk-Bone Milk-Bone Original Medium Biscuit Dog Treats.
- Fortified vitamins & minerals (12 of them) help keep your dog at his/her healthiest.
- The crunchy texture cleans your new dog’s teeth, freshens breath while helping to remove plaque and tartar build-up.
- You can feel good about giving them to your new dog because they are wholesome, tasty treats.
- They are shaped like classic dog bones.
- They are a great way to treat your new dog to a healthy and delicious snack.
Without a doubt an absolute necessity for your new dog. Especially when you are both out of the house or if you do not have a backyard. We are not particular about a brand for this dog product as many stores carry different and multi-packs of them.
Nevertheless, the recommendation is the Earth Rated PoopBags Refill Pack from Chewy.
- It can fit into typical leash dispensers.
- It can come scented or unscented in violet color
- Is easy to open
- Can be easily detached from the roll
- 15 bags make a roll
Keep out of the reach of children. It is hazardous to humans.